Monday, March 18, 2024

Week 11 Report

 CST 338 Week 3 Learning Journal

Jotto Code Review 

    I worked with Victoria Ramirez and Ichiro Miyasato. The feedback I received indicated to me that I missed a small opportunity to keep the game going by offering the player the option to update the wordlist when words are run out of, as my program is coded they must go to the main menu to do that. Another small improvement is to include the proper score sum output when the player guesses the correct word, rather than only including it in the menu.

    The improvements I would make to my code include updating the program so that the player has the option to add more words when they run out and try to play a round, rather than having to do it from the other option in the main menu. To be honest, the only unit test that I had trouble with was getLetterCount(), but it was only because of the need to capitalize the input in the method in addition to doing so in the game round process. It was easy to fix.

    The clearest improvement that could be made to the getLetterCount() test is one of two options: remove the capitalized GRAPE word that is tested, or include in the Jotto instructions to capitalize the passed in String value at the beginning of the method definition. This is sincerely nitpicking though since the unit tests are overall well designed and appropriate.

    I only struggled a bit with understanding the different variables, for example in differentiating the local “score” variable in guess() and the global “score” variable in the class fields. I think this could be improved in the future by changing the global variable to be named “final_score” and the local variable “round_score”. Also, learning how to work with File and StringBuilder objects was cool.

qVictoria struggled with IntelliJ, specifically her Gradle tool kept bugging out. She was being gatekept by the compiler, it seems. We are still looking for a proper solution, I am sure we will find it eventually. With the Jotto program, we had similar struggles, mostly being confused by the overlapping score variable. She also struggled with coding getLetterCount(), but was able to solve it with focus.

     I am most proud of the fact that I was able to put all the code together and then most of the tests passed afterwards, which in retrospect is potentially a foolish way to complete similar assignments since test driven development should involve continuous testing rather than coding marathons in between testing. I look forward to implementing more stops and testing in between coding in future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment